Fabric softener is an additive that interacts with clothing during a wash cycle. It contains lubricating ingredients that attach to clothing to make them feel soft to the touch.
Should you use it? The Environmental Working Group recommends skipping fabric softeners entirely.
Quaternary ammonium compounds found in softeners make clothes feel soft and wearable right out of the wash but they are known to trigger asthma and may be toxic to our reproductive systems.
Dangers of Fabric Softener:
- Contains chemicals that can irritate your skin and trigger asthma or other health issues.
- Fabric softener adds a coating to fabric that builds up over time, preventing water from penetrating your clothes during the wash cycle.
- It ruins some fabrics, including cashmere, wool, and microfiber. It can cause fabric to be less breathable and lose its absorbency.
Bottom line: fabric softener is not necessary and the cons far outweigh the pros.
You can still have soft, static- and wrinkle-free clothes without the use of softener—use a quality detergent like NewLife™ Assure Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Sort your clothes by colour (separate whites and colours).
- Sort your laundry by fabric type (i.e. jeans with jeans, towels with towels, delicate with delicate). This step is essential because heavy fabrics can damage lighter ones during the wash cycle.
- When the wash cycle is complete, remove them from the washer promptly. Shake each item and hang them up to dry.
No SLS, parabens, optical brightener, formaldehyde, chlorine bleach, or other toxic chemicals.
Fight stains, Fight odours
Gentle to skin
Low suds. No residue.
Plant-based non-ionic surfactant
I like the fragrance of Assure Liquid Laundry Detergent. It is not overbearing like those commercial types. I also prefer this new liquid type to the former powder type. It is definitely an improved version!
I love this product! I love the smell and it cleans very well.
I choose Assure Liquid Laundry Detergent for my family because I want a laundry detergent that is free from harsh chemicals and safe for people with skin problems.
Assure Liquid Laundry Detergent is really good quality and it has a wonderfully refreshing scent that is not overpowering.
Good quality and reasonably priced.
Our clothes come out clean and smelling fresh. It is also gentle to the skin when used for hand-washing.